Updated: Oct 15, 2019
· 2 Tbsp coconut oil
· 1/4 yellow onion, diced (~1/2 cup)
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 Tbsp minced or grated fresh ginger, skin removed ( optional)
· 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
· 1 15-ounce (425 g) can chickpeas, or dried cooked thoroughly rinsed and drained
· ½ tablespoon green curry paste
· 1 tablespoon curry powder ( I use both curry powder and paste)
· 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) coconut milk (about 1 1/4 14-ounce cans)
· 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable stock (if low sodium, add more salt)
· 1 tsp lime zest, or a small handful of kaffir lime leaf ( optional)
· 1 cup dry quinoa
· Sea salt to taste
1. Heat a pot, large saucepan or deep skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add coconut oil, garlic, ginger, carrot and onion.
2. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add curry paste and stir to coat then curry powder. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Add chickpeas and stir to coat once more. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, lime zest (or leaf), and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a heavy simmer over medium-high heat.