Updated: Jan 19
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 medium onion, diced
· 1 large red or green bell pepper, chopped
· 2 medium carrots, chopped
· 2 ribs celery, chopped
· 2 cups of fresh tomatoes or 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes with their juices -make sure to used low sodium if in can
· 2 cups dried kidney beans fresh (If you prefer can beans, the measurement 2 cans (15 ounces each. Make sure the beans are low sodium
· 2 cups vegetable broth or water
· 2 tbsp. chili powder
· 1 tsp cumin
· 1/2 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
· 1/2 tsp garlic powder
· 1/2 tsp sea salt
· 1/4 tsp black pepper
· 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
· 2 tbsp. coconut oil or avocado oil
1. In a large Cast Iron Dutch oven or heavy pot add coconut oil or avocado oil, let warm on medium heat. Then sauté onions and garlic a minute or two, then add bell peppers, celery, carrots, until onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
2. Reduce heat to medium low, and add remaining ingredients (All spices), stirring to combine well.
3. Add 2 cups of fresh tomatoes or 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes with their juices
4. Add vegetable broth or water
5. Add drained beans and combine all ingredients
6. Simmer partially covered with lid and stirring occasionally, for 30- 35 minutes, until flavors have mingled, and vegetables are cooked. Reduce heat to medium low.
When serving, top with either chopped cilantro, avocado or parsley.
Clean Eating Enjoy!
Your Clean Eating Nutritionist
Antoinette Ouattara, MPH, MS,
Clean Eating Nutritionist
Clean Eating Detox Coach
Holistic Health and Wellness Coach
Weight Loss Coach.
Public Health Professional